Fort Lauderdale, Florida
There are numerous law firms and attorneys in Florida who offer counsel and representation with regard to Immigration and Nationality law matters, but few of them have the experience to match the team at the Brauwerman Law Firm, P.A. The firm has been listed in The Best Law Firms in America every year since its inception by U.S. News and World Report.
Jeffrey N. Brauwerman, Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Immigration and Nationality law, is the only attorney in the United States who has served as a United States Immigration Judge , Regional Counsel (Southern Region) and a Chief Legal Officer of the legacy Immigration and Naturalization Service (USCIS, USICE, USCBP) for a District of the INS.
Jeffrey N. Brauwerman, formerly a United States Immigration Judge, has served as Regional Counsel for the Southern region of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service and Chief Legal Officer for its Miami District office. He earned his Juris Doctor degree at Brooklyn Law School.
Mr. Brauwerman, who has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for over 15 years, Florida Super Lawyers and has a perfect 10.0 score from avvo.com, was selected by the President of the Florida Bar to be Vice-Chair of the first Immigration and Nationality Law Certification Committee. This committee is charged with the preparation and administration of the requirements and a special examination given to practitioners in the area of Immigration and Nationality Law who seek to designate themselves as Board Certified Specialists in Immigration and Nationality Law. As Vice-Chair of the inaugural committee and an architect of the examination, Mr. Brauwerman was exempt from sitting for the exam and is a Board-Certified Immigration Law Specialist. He has earned the highest rating (“av”) in legal ability and ethics from the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory.
Interviewed and quoted by the New York Times, USA Today, The Herald, Sun-Sentinel, and Palm Beach Post on a regular basis, the opinions of Mr. Brauwerman are much sought after by the print media as well as the radio and television media. Jeffrey N. Brauwerman has appeared on ABC television, as well as Channels 4 and 10 in Miami and local radio stations as well as Sirius-XM- Politics of the United States, Channel 124, where he was invited to discuss the oral arguments at the U.S. Supreme Court regarding states implementing their own immigration laws.
For six years Mr. Brauwerman appeared every Sunday night on South Florida public television channel 17 (Immigration, U.S.A.). He has published articles for the Florida Bar Journal as well as the University of Texas, School of Law, 34th Annual Immigration and Nationality Law Conference. He has also served on the American Immigration lawyers Association, South Florida Chapter, Board of Governors. At the request of the Chief of Staff of former Governor Chiles, Mr. Brauwerman participated in the Crisis Management Workshop, as the “immigration leader”. Mr. Brauwerman has lectured for the Florida Bar at Immigration Law Update Seminars; participated as a panelist at the Federal and State Law Enforcement Symposium (Immigration Challenges Facing Florida).
His background makes him uniquely capable of assisting an individual on immigration or nationality issues that range from the straightforward to the complex.
- Certified Immigration and Nationality Lawyer, Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- Bar Admissions:
- New York, 1970
- Florida, 1977
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1975
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1971
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York,
- Hunter College, City University of New York,
- Published Works:
- "Criminal and Other Grounds For Deportation-Criminal Defense Counsel: Know Thy Immigration Law", The Florida Bar Journal, June, 1987
- "IMMACT 90 Revisions Regarding Immigration Consequences of Criminal Behavior", (Co-Author), The Florida Bar Journal, May, 1992
- Criminal Alien Law Report (Co-Editor), 1991
- Removal Proceedings: Selected Types of Relief from Removal, University of Texas, School of Law, 34th Annual Conference on Immigration and Nationality Law, October , 2010
- Representative Cases:
- Acosta-Montero v. I.N.S., 62 F.3d 1347 (11th Cir. 1995)
- Wright v. Selective Serv. L.B. 105, 319 F. Supp.509 (1970)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Lecturer: Immigration Law Update Seminars, The Florida Bar, 1986 - 1987
- Moderator, "Developments in Removal Grounds & Aggravated Felony Provisions", 20th Annual Immigration Law Update, The Florida Bar, 1999
- Immigration Leader, Governor's Crisis Management Workshop, 1994
- Panelist, "Immigration Challenges Facing Florida", Federal and State Law Enforcement Symposium.
- Weekly Featured Guest, "Immigration, U.S.A.", WLRN-TV, 1996 - 2003
- Honors and Awards:
- Listed: The Best Lawyers in America, 1998 - Present
- South Florida Legal Guide
- Top Lawyers in South Florida, 2001 - 2002
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006 - Present
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- The Florida Bar, 1977 - Present
- New York Bar
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, South Florida Chapter, 1986 - 1988
- Member, Board of Directors
- South Florida Chapter
- Member, Board of Directors
- AILA Pro Bono Project, 1987 - 1988
- Member, Board of Directors
- AILA Pro Bono Project, 1987 - 1989
- The Florida Bar, 1994 - 1997
- Former Vice-Chair, Inaugural Immigration & Nat'l Law Cert. Committee
- The Florida Bar, International Law Section
- The Florida Bar, Arts, Entertainment and Sports Law Section
- New York County Lawyers Association, 1971 - Present
- Past Employment Positions:
- U.S. Immigration & Naturalization Service, General Attorney, Nationality, 1973 - 1980
- U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, Trial Attorney, 1980 - 1981
- U. S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, District Counsel, Miami District, 1981 - 1983
- United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, Regional Counsel
- United States Immigration Court, Judge
- U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, Chief Legal Officer, Miami District Office